Description, Responsibilities, and Qualifications
The Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (CSAMES) seeks two 25% research assistants (RAs) to assist in the Center’s campus, community and K-12 school outreach. These positions will work closely with the CSAMES Outreach and Program Coordinator and the Associate Director to deliver on outreach initiatives.
The Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (CSAMES, pronounced “see-sayms”), promotes teaching and scholarship on South Asia and the Middle East and fosters a greater public understanding of these globally influential regions. Title VI funding provides new opportunities for CSAMES to serve K-12 and community college educators, future teachers, as well as UIUC students and community members. Content posted to CSAMES website and social media serve national and global networks and scholars interested in our world regions.
- Research topics related to CSAMES events in order to assist in promotion and publicity, or other outreach related needs
- Design posters and graphics for events and Center publicity
- Create content for social media, manage CSAMES social media accounts and minor website updates
- Transport and set up materials for campus and community fairs and info sessions
- Attend campus and local community outreach events as needed
- Attend CSAMES events to assist with technology and other needs
- Assist in keeping track of event attendance for reporting or other data needs for grants reports or proposals
- Career development/networking– connect with interested students and alumni through CSAMES social media for new career development and professional networking opportunities facilitated by the Center
- Assist with registration, check-in at CSAMES events or other tasks as needed
- Graduate student in a field related to Middle East studies, education, social sciences or within the humanities. Graduate students in other fields may also be considered if they have significant skills or experiences related to the tasks above.
- Strong interest in international education and the region
- Basic word processing and editing experience, as well as basic design skills
- Ability to speak with students and community members about CSAMES’ events and mission
Start date: Monday, August 29, 2022 or as soon as possible. These positions may be renewable through the 2025-26 academic year.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Dr. Angela Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org