Description, Responsibilities, and Qualifications
The Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) invites applications for a teaching assistant (TA) position in the Korean language program for AY 2021-2022. The appointment will be made semester by semester at the minimum of 33% up to 41% and is renewable, contingent upon his/her teaching performance and funding availability.
- Applicants must be a graduate student in a master’s program under LAS or in Ph D programs at UIUC.
- Applicants must have native or near native level fluency in Korean and native or near native English proficiency.
- All teaching assistants whose native language is not English need to provide a qualifying score of the TOEFL iBT, iELTS, or the English Proficiency Interview (EPI) to be considered for a teaching assistantship in fall 2021.
- Experience in teaching in higher education is highly desirable.
The positions will begin August 15, 2021 and extend to May 15, 2022. The applicant must be available prior to the beginning of the fall and spring terms for the orientation and class preparation.
Duties and responsibilities of a Korean TA are as follows:
- Teach a Korean language course (4 or 5 days a week)
- Grade assignments, quizzes and exams
- Attend bi-weekly TA meetings
- Attend the Annual half-day Korean TA teaching workshop during the week of August 16
- Assist with the UIUC Korean placement test in August and in January
To ensure full consideration, submit the following materials by email to Jeeyoung Ahn Ha (email@example.com), Director of the Korean language program. Please include “Application for the Korean TA position” as the subject of the email.
- A letter of application written in Korean that details your teaching experiences and philosophy
- Curriculum vitae
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.