Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions About Course Outlines and Revisions

How many copies do I submit?

Only one, routed through the appropriate departmental and college offices.

Do I need to submit a new course outline when the textbook changes?

No. Routine changes in content and textbook do not require revised official course outlines. For a minor change in the title, cross-listing, course description, or prerequisite, a Course Revision Form that states and justifies the proposed change(s) is needed. The form should follow the normal departmental and college approval process. Major changes in content may require a new course to be proposed.  

What happens if the Graduate College requests changes in a course proposal?

If the changes are extensive, then the Graduate College will return the proposal to the department. After extensive revision, the revised forms should then go through the normal approval process in the department, school, and disciplinary college. However, if the changes are minor, one of the Graduate College deans, or their representative will communicate directly with the proposer to incorporate the revisions, and the course will be forwarded to the Provost's Office with the changes.

Can a course be offered before it is approved by the Graduate College?

Most departments have special topics numbers for experimental versions of new courses. The department determines whether an experimental course may be offered. The same topic may be offered a maximum of two times as a special topics section and a third time only if a proposal to establish it as a permanent course has been submitted through the usual course-approval channels.

Are graduate courses ever dropped?

The Provost's 6-10 Regulation requires the dropping of a course when it violates the Term Rule, that is, the course, regardless of level, has not been offered within the last three years or, when average enrollment for the last two successive offerings of the course is fewer than 6 in a 500-, 600-, or 700- level course OR fewer than 10 in a 100-, 200-, 300- or 400- level course. All thesis and individual instruction courses are exempt from the 6-10 regulations.

Can I charge a fee in my class?

Course fees must be approved by the Provost's Office, which has more information about the process online. New course fees can be added to an existing course using a course fee request form. Fees must be approved in advance of the offering term because course fees are assessed at the same time as tuition, prior to the start of the semester. In this way fees are automatically deducted and deposited into your course account, and instructors do not collect fees directly from the students.