Participants in SPI should be students from racial and ethnic populations underrepresented in graduate study at Illinois, who are interested in pursuing a doctorate, and who have accepted admission to a graduate program at Illinois. Students from all disciplines will be considered for participation. Special consideration will be given to students who have participated in the BTAA, a McNair Program, Aspire, or COS.
Students starting a master’s degree program who are planning to continue to doctoral study in that field at Illinois may also apply. Program applicants must indicate in their intention to pursue a doctoral degree in their SPI statement of purpose.
- Acceptance of admission to an Illinois graduate program by April 15, 2023
- Completion and submission of an SPI application by April 17, 2023
- A letter of support submitted by the prospective participant's graduate program or department at Illinois by April 21, 2023
- Agreement to participate in all of the activities of the SPI if accepted
- Member of racial and ethnic populations underrepresented in graduate study at Illinois
- United States citizens, permanent residents, or those with DACA status