Participants in SPI should be students from populations underrepresented in graduate study at Illinois, who are interested in pursuing a doctorate, and who have accepted admission to a graduate program at Illinois. Recipients of this fellowship must be nominated by their prospective graduate program or department for participation in SPI. Students from all disciplines will be considered for participation. Special consideration will be given to students who have participated in the BTAA, a McNair Program, Aspire, or COS.
- Acceptance of admission to a graduate program by the SPI deadline date
- A letter of support from the prospective participant's graduate program or department at Illinois
- Completion and submission of an SPI application by the SPI deadline date
- Agreement to participate in all of the activities of the SPI if accepted
- United States citizens, permanent residents, or those with DACA status