Participants in SPI should be students from racial and ethnic populations underrepresented in graduate study at Illinois, who are interested in pursuing a doctorate, and who have accepted admission to a graduate program at Illinois. Students starting a master’s degree program who are planning to continue to doctoral study in that field at Illinois may also apply. Students from all disciplines will be considered for participation. Special consideration will be given to students who have participated in the BTAA, a McNair Program, Aspire, or COS.
- Acceptance of admission to an Illinois graduate program by April 15, 2021
- A letter of support from the prospective participant's graduate program or department at Illinois
- Completion and submission of an SPI application by April 19, 2021
- Agreement to participate in all of the activities of the SPI if accepted
- Member of racial and ethnic populations underrepresented in graduate study at Illinois
- United States citizens, permanent residents, or those with DACA status