Graduate College Guidelines
Mentoring has many facets and many participants. The Graduate College's Suggested Guidelines for Graduate Student Mentoring were developed through conversations with faculty, graduate program administrators and graduate students. They outline the roles of faculty, students and graduate programs in creating a positive and supportive environment, aiding academic success, and fostering career development.
GradMENTOR is a blog and newsletter produced by the Graduate College to support faculty mentors. Learn more about GradMENTOR.
- Helping Students Start Strong
- Compassion for Mentees and Ourselves
- Helping Students Develop Skills for Professional Growth
- Toolkits for Faculty and Staff
- The Importance of Checking-in and Providing Feedback
Introductions and Comprehensive Guides
- How to Mentor Graduate Students (University of Michigan)
- The Science of Effective Mentoring in STEMM (The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine)
- Entering Mentoring curriculum (Center for the Improvement of Mentored Experiences in Research)
Writing Letters of Recommendation
Mentoring resources for student mentees are posted at www.grad.illinois.edu/mentoring.