The following guides provide information and resources on a number of topics related to the mentoring of graduate students. The first set of links provides a comprehensive introduction, whereas the next set of links provide information on specific issues related to mentoring as described by the headings.
Introductions and Comprehensive Guides
- University of Illinois Guiding Standards for Faculty Supervision of Graduate Students
- The multiple roles of the faculty mentor
- How to Mentor Graduate Students (University of Michigan)
- Mentoring Guidebook (University of Nebraska)
- Mentoring: A Guide for Faculty (University of Washington)
- CGS Occasional Paper series: Great Mentoring in Graduate School: A quick start guide for protégés (Council of Graduate Schools).*
- On the Right Track: A Manual for Research Mentors (Council of Graduate Schools)*
*As a benefit of institutional membership, online access to all CGS publications is provided to faculty and staff at member institutions. To create a new user account for publications access, complete this form.
Writing Letters of Recommendation
- Guide from Howard Hughes Medical Center
- Guide from the University of Michigan
- GSAS Guide for Teaching Fellows on Writing Letters of Recommendation
- Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management
- Mind Matters: Managing Conflict in the Lab
Research & Ethics
- Academic Integrity
- Research Integrity and Ethics (OVCR)
- National Center for Professional & Research Ethics, located at the Urbana-Champaign campus
Graduate Student Mental Health
- University of Illinois Counseling Center Self-Help Brochures
- Mental Health Assessment (accessible through Project Muse)
Mentoring resources for student mentees are posted at www.grad.illinois.edu/mentoring.