Minimum Requirements for Admission
- All applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of the TOEFL or IELTS as evidence of English proficiency.
- Official scores are required to be submitted directly from TOEFL/ETS or IELTS (please see instructions below for Submitting Official Scores regarding our institution code and program number).
- TOEFL or IELTS scores must be less than two years old from the first day of class at the proposed term of entry in order to be valid.
- IMPORTANT, PLEASE NOTE: Individual academic programs may require a higher score, or evidence of spoken English language proficiency; contact your proposed program of study office for the minimum TOEFL, TSE, or IELTS requirement for admission.
- Teaching requirements differ from admissions requirements. See the English Proficiency Requirements for Non-Native English Speaking Teaching Assistants.
The following chart provides minimum score requirements for admission:
|English Proficiency Test||
Minimum for Limited Status Admission with English as a Second Language Placement Test Required*
|Minimum for Full Status Admission**|
|TOEFL iBT||79-102||greater than 102|
|TOEFL CBT||213-253||greater than 253|
|TOEFL PBT||550-610||greater than 610|
|IELTS (academic exam)||6.5 with a score of 6 or higher in all sub-sections||greater than 6.5|
*If the scores on the TOEFL or IELTS are acceptable, but indicate the need for further English study, an English as a Second Language Placement Test (EPT) will be required upon arrival at the University. On the basis of the ESL EPT results, applicants are generally required to enroll in non-credit "English as a Second Language" courses and take a reduced academic load beginning the first semester at the University.
**Students applying to online programs must satisfy the full status admissions requirement.
Test Information and Instructions for Requesting Official Scores
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
TOEFL Services at Educational Testing Service (ETS):
Requesting Official Scores: Applicants who have already taken the TOEFL should request the Educational Testing Service send scores to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign using our institution code number 1836.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
IELTS is jointly owned by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia.
Requesting Official Scores: Applicants who have already taken the IELTS should upload their score report forms directly to the online application.