Once you have submitted your application, you will be required to pay your application fee by credit card. The fee must be paid prior to your program's deadline or your application will be unsubmitted. The fee is non-refundable and your application cannot be reviewed until the application fee has been processed.
The application fee amount is determined by your citizenship and/or visa status.
- Domestic applicants are required to submit a $70.00 application fee.
- International applicants are required to submit a $90.00 application fee.
Application Fee Waivers
- University of Illinois Employees: This includes Civil Service Staff, Academic Professionals, and Faculty only. Academic Hourly and Student Employee positions do not qualify for an application fee waiver.
- Illinois Promise (I-Promise) Scholars: I-Promise Scholars are eligible for application fee waivers when applying to a graduate program. Please indicate your I-Promise Scholar designation in this section of the online application.
- Big Ten Academic Alliance FreeApp Applicants: FreeApp is a program designed to increase access to graduate education for students who possess qualities and experiences that enhance the diversity of the intellectual, cultural, and social environments at Big Ten Academic Alliance universities. As long as you have submitted your FreeApp application and indicated interest in Illinois prior to submitting your online application to Illinois, we will approve your fee waiver. The Big Ten Academic Alliance sends us a list of all applicants who complete the FreeApp application and indicate interest in Illinois, so no additional documentation is needed. For more information on this program and the eligibility requirements, and to submit your FreeApp application, please visit http://www.grad.illinois.edu/freeapp.
- SROP Participants: If you have participated in an SROP (Summer Research Opportunities Program) at the University of Illinois or another institution in the United States, you may qualify for an application fee waiver. You will be prompted to upload documentation of your SROP participation on this page. This documentation is required prior to submitting your application.
- McNair Scholars: If you are a current McNair Scholar, please ask your current institution to provide you with a letter of proof of your McNair status that you can upload to your online application. This documentation will be required before you can submit your application. For more information about the McNair Scholar program, please visit https://www.omsa.illinois.edu/trio/mcnair/.
- United States Military Service: If you have previously or are currently serving in the United States Military, you are eligible for an application fee waiver. You will be prompted to upload documentation of your service on this page. This documentation is required prior to submitting your application.
- Allied Agencies Applicants: If you are affiliated with one of our allied agencies, you may indicate your allied agency in this section. You will be prompted to upload documentation of your affiliation with this allied agency on this page. This documentation is required prior to submitting your application. Your fee waiver request will be reviewed for approval after submission of your application.