The University of Illinois System has announced commencement ceremonies will not take place as scheduled in May. More information will be posted as soon as it is available.
Congratulations! As you finish your final semester, here is a checklist of items to help you prepare for graduation.
Complete Degree Requirements
- Apply to graduate using Self-Service
- For doctoral students, schedule and take your final exam (defend)
- Deposit your thesis or dissertation with the Graduate College. Make note of deadlines and format templates as you plan ahead for a smooth deposit!
- Finish up all required courses
Plan to Participate in Commencement Events
- Check out the complete list of events
- Register for the university-wide Commencement or Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
- Check with your department about unit convocation registration
- Order your academic attire
Prepare For Your Next Steps
- Update your diploma address in Self-Service (diplomas are mailed about 9 weeks after conferral)
- Complete exit surveys for master's students and doctoral students
- Check your student account
- Learn what happens to your email and files after graduation
- Pick up tickets for the ceremonies you and your guests will attend
- Learn about distribution and return times for academic attire
- Celebrate your achievements!
Important may 2020 Dates
Mark your calendars for the following dates.
Last day to defend (take final exam) for May doctoral degree
Last day to apply for May degree conferral (adding your name to the degree list) on Student Self-Service.
Last day to complete a May doctoral dissertation deposit with the Graduate College Thesis Office.
Last day to complete a May master's thesis deposit with the Graduate College Thesis Office.
Commencement ceremonies will not take place as scheduled. Information will be shared about a rescheduled ceremony as details are confirmed.