The Sloan University Center of Exemplary Mentoring at Illinois is one of eight UCEMs funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. It is designed to broaden participation in advanced engineering, physical and mathematical science careers, and to strengthen the talent pool in these fields while increasing equitable opportunities in the U.S. In addition to financial support, Sloan UCEM scholars receive guidance from a team of mentors.
Sloan Scholars and Illinois Sloan Scholars
During each three-year grant period, fifty scholars - 25 Sloan Scholars and 25 Illinois Sloan Scholars - are recruited and fully funded with waiver-generating assistantships and/or fellowships.
- Sloan Scholars will receive a total of $40,000 from the Sloan Foundation by receiving $6,000 per year in years 1–5 in semesterly disbursements (fall, spring, summer), and $10,000 for professional travel funds.
- Illinois Sloan Scholars receive up to a total of $10,000 from Illinois in two stages: 1) during year of matriculation and 2) after qualifying exam or completion of unit-approved benchmark.
Since the launch of the Illinois UCEM in 2015, over 100 UCEM scholars and affiliates have enrolled in one of the 19 Sloan UCEM partnering departments. Sloan Scholars and Illinois Sloan Scholars are carefully mentored toward successful completion of their PhD’s and job placement. In addition to studying in highly-ranked, world-class programs, these students receive a suite of professional development opportunities. Graduates will be well-prepared to become leaders in the workforce and in academia, where they can shape the future of their fields.
College of Engineering (14 Programs):
- Aerospace Engineering (10KS4048PHD)
- Agricultural & Biological Engineering (10KS5163PHD)
- Civil & Environmental Engineering (10KS0106PHD & 10KS0231PHD)
- Computer Science (10KS0112PHD)
- Electrical & Computer Engineering (10KS1200PHD)
- Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering (10KS0127PHD & 10KS3846PHD)
- Materials Science & Engineering (10KS0130PHD)
- Mechanical Science & Engineering (10KS0133PHD & 10KS0242PHD)
- Nuclear, Plasma, & Radiological Engineering (10KS5183PHD)
- Physics (10KS0240PHD)
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (9 Programs):
- Astronomy (10KS0333PHD)
- Atmospheric Sciences (10KS0334PHD)
- Biophysics & Quantitative Biology (10KS5414PHD)
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering (10KS0300PHD)
- Chemistry (10KS0335PHD & 10KS0337PHD)
- Geology (10KS0336PHD)
- Mathematics (10KS0439PHD)
- Statistics (10KS0329PHD)
For More Information
This initiative is made possible by a generous grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
How to Become a Sloan UCEM Scholar?
Students who have been offered admission in one of the Sloan-eligible departments need not apply. Departments nominate students for Sloan Scholarships as described in this listing.