COVID-19 English Proficiency Requirement Updates
TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition Test
TOEFL launched the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test on March 23rd and this test is now available in all countries except Mainland China and Iran. This will be a proctered online version of the TOEFL iBT that can be taken in test users' homes. Additional information about this new test option and updates on testing center closures, postponements, and rescheduling can be found at www.ets.org/toefl/cv-update. We will accept this test in lieu of the traditional TOEFL iBT with the same score and test date requirements posted below.
TOEFL ITP Plus for China Test
TOEFL has also now launched the TOEFL ITP Plus test for students in Mainland China. This is a paper-based test that can be taken in ATA-operated test centers in China while the iBT is temporarily unavailable. If submitting this test, a minimum score of 550 will be required for admission. Students who submit this test will not be eligible for full status admission and will be required to take the English as a Second Language (ESL) English Placement Test (EPT)* upon arrival to campus. Additional information about this test can be found on the ITP Plus for China website. Note that the TOEFL ITP Plus test does not provide a scored speaking component and cannot be used to satisfy the English proficiency requirement for teaching assistants. Students who submit a TOEFL ITP Plus score for admission will need to either take the TOEFL/IELTS at a later date or take the English Proficiency Interview (EPI) upon arrival to campus if planning to hold a teaching assistantship.
Duolingo English Test
In addition and in response to the temporary closings of testing centers in countries impacted by the COVID-19 epidemic, the Graduate College will now temporarily accept Duolingo English Test examination results for tests taken between February 1 and August 1, 2021. The Duolingo English Test will be accepted as an alternative to TOEFL and IELTS for proof of English proficiency for impacted applicants. If submitting the Duolingo English Test, a minimum score of 105 will be required for admission. Students with scores between 105 and 124 will be required to take the English as a Second Language (ESL) English Placement Test (EPT)* upon arrival to campus. In addition to providing a score above these minimums, graduate programs may choose to require students to participate in a zoom or skype interview prior to making an admission decision. The Duolingo English Test does not provide sub-score breakouts and cannot be used to satisfy the English proficiency requirement for teaching assistants. Students who submit a Duolingo score for admission will need to either take the TOEFL/IELTS at a later date or take the English Proficiency Interview (EPI) upon arrival to campus if planning to hold a teaching assistantship. Please visit the Duolingo peparing for the exam, scheduling the exam, and FAQs sites for more information.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- All applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of the TOEFL or IELTS as evidence of English proficiency.
- Official scores are required to be submitted directly from TOEFL/ETS or IELTS (please see instructions below for Submitting Official Scores).
- TOEFL or IELTS scores must be less than two years old from the first day of class at the proposed term of entry in order to be valid.
IMPORTANT, PLEASE NOTE:
- Individual academic programs may require a higher score, or evidence of spoken English language proficiency; please review your proposed program of study's website for program TOEFL or IELTS minimums for admission.
- Teaching requirements differ from admissions requirements. See the English Proficiency Requirements for Non-Native English Speaking Teaching Assistants.
MINIMUM SCORE REQUIREMENTS:
|English Proficiency Test||
Minimum for Limited Status Admission*
|Minimum for Full Status Admission**|
|IELTS (academic exam)||6.5||7.5|
|TOEFL Revised PDT||60||Not Eligible***|
|TOEFL ITP Plus (China Only)||550||Not Eligible***|
Duolingo (Accepting tests
*The English as a Second Language Placement Test (EPT) will be required prior to enrolling at Illinois for all students who score below the full status minimums listed in the chart above. On the basis of the EPT results, applicants are generally required to enroll in non-credit "English as a Second Language" courses and take a reduced academic load beginning the first semester at the University.
**Students applying to online programs must satisfy the full status admissions requirement.
***Students who take the revised paper-delivered test (PDT) or the ITP Plus test are not eligible for full status admission and will be required to take the English as a Second Language Placement Test (EPT) prior to enrolling at Illinois (and any subsequent ESL coursework). Note that not all graduate programs will accept these tests. Also note that the TOEFL ITP Plus exam is only offered in Mainland China.
Test Information and Instructions for Requesting Official Scores
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- TOEFL is owned by Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- Website: www.toefl.org
- Requesting Official Scores: Applicants who have already taken the TOEFL should request ETS to send scores to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign using our institution code number 1836.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- IELTS is jointly owned by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia.
- Website: www.ielts.org
- Requesting Official Scores: Applicants who have already taken the IELTS should upload their score report forms directly to the online application.