Whether you are just starting your career exploration journey, are in the middle of a job search, or negotiating job offers, we are here to advise you at any stage of your career development.
Graduate College Career Development can help you understand your options, identify your skills, and communicate your experience, vital steps on the way to achieving your career goals. Career advisors in the Graduate College work exclusively with graduate students and postdocs, and they understand your specific needs. Advisors have experience across multiple job sectors, including academia, industry, nonprofits, and government, and provide tailored advice at any stage of your career journey.
What Kinds of Support Can You Receive?
- Career Exploration: If you are just starting your career development, not sure of next steps after your degree, or in the middle of considering multiple career paths, Graduate College Career Development is here to help you understand your values and needs. Career advisors are here to listen and help you make the best career decisions for you, no matter the direction they take. Schedule an appointment below to speak with a career advisor one on one.
- Industry and Nonprofit Job Search: Seeking advice on how to navigate an industry or nonprofit job search? Career advisors are knowledgeable on all aspects of an industry or nonprofit search, including networking, resume and cover letter review, interviewing, and offer negotiation. If you would like advice on your application or the inner workings of an industry job search, please schedule an advising appointment below.
- Faculty Job Search: There are many components to the faculty job search, many of which can be complex and confusing. Graduate College Career Development can help you navigate all parts of the process, including application document review (CV, cover letter, diversity statement, teaching philosophy, research statement), video and campus interview prep, and negotiation strategy. Career advisors will be able to provide you with guidance, no matter where you are on your faculty job search journey. Schedule a one-on-one advising meeting below whenever you need.
Scheduling an Appointment
Career advising appointments take place in person and online through Zoom. The Graduate College uses Handshake@Ilinois to schedule career appointments for on campus graduate students and postdocs. See instructions below for how to schedule an advising appointment for your group.
- On-campus Graduate Students: Current on campus students have had Handshake accounts created for them and can navigate directly to the appointment scheduling page here (will need to log in first, if you have not logged in before, you will need to confirm your account). To schedule an in person or online advising appointment, select Graduate College Career Development Office as your appointment category and then select the appointment type most applicable to your current advising needs.
- Postdoctoral Scholars: As a postdoc, you may have had an account for Handshake created automatically. If you are unable to log in using the instructions below, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. To access Handshake, log in here to check your access (if you have not logged in before, you will need to confirm your account). To schedule an in person or online advising appointment, click here then select Graduate College Career Development Office as your appointment category and then select the appointment type most applicable to your current advising needs.
- Online Graduate Students: Email email@example.com for information about the services available to you.