The Graduate Student Leadership Award celebrates graduate students who have engaged in outstanding service that has positively impacted the UIUC campus or wider communities. How that leadership has been demonstrated can vary widely. The Graduate College and its student advisory group, SAGE (Students Advising Graduate Education), invite nominations of graduate students who have exhibited outstanding service for the 2022 Graduate Student Leadership Awards. This year, we will have separate application forms for Master's and doctoral students and grant two awards, one designated for the Master's student winner and one for the doctoral student winner.
Nominations are due by 11:59 PM (Central) on Sunday, September 25, 2022.
The winner will be announced during Graduate Student Appreciation Week (October 24-28). All students receiving recognition for the Graduate Student Leadership Award will be invited to a reception held at the Graduate College on Wednesday, October 26 and featured in a special video to celebrate their accomplishments.
The two winners will each receive a $500 award. Awards to graduate students will be dispersed as professional development travel funds through the student’s university account. Awards may be subject to tax withholding.
To apply, each of the following must be submitted by the deadline:
- Completed online nominee application form (submitted by the student nominee)
- CV or resume (instructions to submit included in the online form)
- Video narrative responding to the following prompts (must be recorded by the nominee; maximum of 3 minutes; nominess are not assessed on the quality of the video, save in either .mp4 or .wav file types; instructions to submit included in the online form)
- Describe specific contributions you have made to either the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign's campus or wider communities
- Explain how your efforts produced a positive impact on those communities
- Tell us how your contributions exemplify leadership qualities you have gained or developed through experiences as a graduate student
- Two (2) recommendations
- Recommendations should come directly from two separate individuals who can speak to the nominee's leadership qualities and/or give a first-hand account of the nominee's leadership. The Graduate College welcomes recommenders both from within and outside of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- Recommendations are submitted online using the following forms: Master's Student Leadership Recommendation Form and Doctoral Student Leadership Recommendation Form.
To be eligible to participate, entrants must be a graduate student in good academic standing at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and be registered during the Fall 2022 term. (Students in J.D. or M.D. programs are not eligible. Students in an M.D./Ph.D. program are eligible if they are registered in their Ph.D. program in Fall 2022.)
Nominations are due by 11:59 PM (Central) on Sunday, September 25, 2022. All requirements must be submitted by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The online nomination form must be submitted by the student nominee. Previous nominees who were not selected as the award winner are eligible to apply again.
Read more about our previous winners below:
Please contact the Graduate College at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the application process. If you require any disability-related accommodations to submit your application, please let us know through email.