ONLINE PROPOSAL WRITING RESOURCES
- Fellowships 101: How to Find Fellowships That Are Right for You – by Karen Ruhleder
- Get an Early Start on This Year’s Fellowship Applications – by Colleen Vojak
- Help Funders Help You: Five Tips for Writing Effective Funding Applications - by Lewis, Sommerville, Van Bavel, & Cunningham
- The Art of Proposal Writing: Proposal as Roadmap – by Karen Ruhleder
- The Art of Proposal Writing: Proposal as Genre – by Karen Ruhleder
- Scholarly Pursuits: A Guide to Professional Development during the Graduate Years (Chapter 5) – by Cynthia Verba
- Dissertation Proposal Resources: Nuts & Bolts - University of California Berkeley, Institute of International Studies
- Dissertation Proposal Resources: Style - University of California Berkeley, Institute of International Studies
- Grant Writing Tips for Graduate Students - Chronicle of Higher Education
- Art of Grantsmanship - Human Frontier Science Program
Guidance for Social Sciences and Humanities
- The Making of a Successful Proposal - University of California, Berkeley
- The Art of Writing Proposals - Social Science Research Council
- Dr. Karen's Foolproof Grant Template – by Karen Kelsky
- Writing Proposals for ACLS Fellowship Competitions - American Council of Learned Societies
Guidance for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
- A Guide to Preparing Fellowship Applications in STEM - by Karen Ruhleder
- Writing Successful Science Proposals, 2nd Edition – by Andrew Friedland and Carol Folt
- Research Proposals: A Guide to Success, 3rd Edition – by Thomas Ogden and Israel Goldberg
- Writing Science: How to Write Papers that Get Cited and Proposals that Get Funded - by Joshua Schimel
RESOURCES FOR MAJOR COMPETITIONS
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (NSF-GRF)
- Video: NSF-GRF Application Tutorial (2020) - NSF Program Directors explain the online application.
- NSF-GRF FAQs - New and extended FAQ listing by NSF Program Directors.
- NSF Fellowship Advice, by Alex Lang (features many samples proposals).
- Video: Tips for a Winning NSF-GRF Application, by UIUC alum Ritu Raman.
- Where Storytelling Meets Science, by Lesley McCollum and Michelle Lavery.
- Advice for NSF-GRF Applicants, by Mallory P. Ladd (features many sample proposals).
- Helping Students to Tell Their Stories (general advice on personal statements) - by James M. Lang.
- Leave Dr. Seuss Out of It (general advice on personal statements).
National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG)
- Advice from NDSEG Fellow – Phillip Guo
- Advice from NDSEG Fellow – Olga Botvinnik
- Advice from NDSEG Fellow – Edward Yang
National Institutes of Health - Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NIH-NRSA F30, F31, F32)
- NIH/NRSA/Kirschstein Fellowship – Graduate College Information Session 2018 - University of Illinois
- NIH/NRSA/Kirschstein Grants Policy Statement (summary of eligibility, purpose, evaluation criteria, application guidelines, and award benefits).
- NIH/NRSA/Kirschstein Fellowship - Application Checklist - University of Illinois
- Tips on Writing NRSA Proposals - by Siegle, Johnson, Everhard, & Newton
- Video of NIH Proposal Review Process - National Institutes of Health
- Guide to Effective Grant Writing: How to Write a Successful NIH Proposal - by Otto Yang
- A Practical Guide to Writing a Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Grant – by Andrew Hollenbach
Fulbright: Academic Study/Research Grants and English Teaching Assistantships
- Demystifying the Ford Foundation Fellowship - University of California Santa Barbara
- Applying for Fellowships: Telling the “Story of You” – by Karen Ruhleder
- Helping Students to Tell Their Stories - by James M. Lang
- Leave Dr. Seuss Out of It – Chronicle of Higher Education
Letters of Recommendation
- How to Ask for a Recommendation - Chronicle of Higher Education
- How to Write a Recommendation Letter (advice for professors) - by Karen Kelsky
Standard Publishing Styles