Training Materials & Workshops
Orientation for Graduate Contacts
Orientation Materials for new Graduate Contacts are available to help you get started in your new role.
GC Essentials sessions will cover Graduate College functions from different areas in the Graduate College. These topics are those that departmental staff need to know in order to assist with their daily responsibilities for graduate students. These workshops will be offered online. Email invitations are sent with topic, location and registration information to those subscribed to the Graduate Contact and Graduate Directors listservs two weeks in advance of the session.
admissions, registration, and enrollment services
These sessions are offered via zoom and a link will be sent to all graduate contacts.
- Slate 101
- This session offers the new user experience including how to navigate the system, how to find and review your applicants’ materials, and how to process admissions in the Slate system.
- December 1, 2020, 10-11am
- Slate 102
- This session offers a more in-depth look at Slate functionalities such as using and creating new queries and exports, and sending admission letters and other admissions communications through Slate's Deliver module. This session is for advanced Slate users.
- December 3, 2020, 10-11am
- Admissions 101
- This session covers Admissions basics such as academic eligibility, English proficiency, recodes and redirects, and how to evaluate both domestic and international applicants for admission.
- December 8, 2020, 10-11:30am
- SEVIS 101
- This session covers SEVIS basics such as student visa and I-20/DS-2019 options and how to determine and evaluate funding requirements and documentation.
- December 17, 2020, 10-11:00am
- Registration and Enrollment 101
- This session covers current student services such as registration options, deadlines, requirements, and the ins and outs of change of curriculum and re-entry petitions and admissions.
- January 28, 2021, 11am-12pm **UPDATED DATE/TIME**
- Graduate Student Petition Process - Using the Petition Portal and Petition Requirements
- November 18, 2020, 11am-12pm
- Degree Certification and the GCP Database (mandatory for new Certifiers but all are welcome)
- October 28, 2020, 11am-12pm
- February 16, 2021, 11am-12pm
- July 14, 2021, 11am-12pm
- Student Records - Grades and Academic Standing
- April 14, 2021, 11am-12pm
- Policy Updates
- TBD Summer 2021
- Graduate Faculty Database
- October 20, 2020, 11am-12pm
- Thesis Review & Deposit
- March 2, 2021, 11am-12pom
- Doctoral Exam Committees
- January 20, 2021, 11am-12pm
Career Services and student success
- Opportunities for Student Success
- TBD Spring 2021
- Nominating Students for Graduate College Fellowships and Grants
- TBD Spring 2021
Graduate College Annual Workshop
- Hosted annually in October
Partnership for Success Series
Broaden your institutional knowledge about resources, services, and campus procedures in order to assist and support graduate students in your program. The Graduate College hosts monthly meetings with special topics aimed at this purpose. Email invitations are sent with topic, location and registration information to those subscribed to the Graduate Contact and Graduate Directors listservs two weeks in advance of the session. Registration for these sessions is required.
Graduate College Partnership for Success Certificate
The Graduate College recognizes the invaluable service that graduate departmental staff provide to graduate students in their program. We are pleased to acknowledge their service through a professional development certificate for departmental staff who attend training opportunities at the Graduate College.
- Departmental staff at Illinois with graduate program responsibilities
- Must fulfill certificate criteria within 2 calendar years to be eligible for the certificate
- Attends Graduate College Annual Workshop annually
- Attends 8 GC Essentials sessions
- Attends 8 Partnership for Success sessions
Graduate College/Human Resources Presentation
The information in this presentation is applicable to all students who are also employees, Graduate Assistant Employee Orientation.
Campus Staff Training
The campus maintains a calendar of staff training events at http://illinois.edu/calendar/list/642.
Office of the Registrar Training Materials
The Office of the Registrar offers many resources and job aids that are helpful to Graduate Contacts.