Skip to main content

Need Help?

Need help with a sensitive issue?

For assistance with a sensitive issue, you can schedule a meeting by contacting or (217) 333-4610. 

Information for Current and Prospective Students impacted Natural Distasters

We have many current gradute students and postdocs in our community who far away from home and unable to communicate with the families and friends in the aftermath recent natural disasters, particularly the Caribbean Islands and Mexico. The uncertainty of the situation is distressing for all of us as we wait and hope for the safety of those in these regions. Times like these are undoubtedly stressful, and we encourage you to reach out to the campus resources for assistance. The Counseling Center, in particular, provides services to help students in times of stress. Please see the section below on Coping with Anxiety and Stress for details.

If you are a prospective student from an institution in an area impacted by recent natural distasters and your undergraduate institution is currently closed and you have concerns about completing your undergraduate degree in time to begin a graduate program at Illinois in 2018, please do not hesitate to contact us at We are very willing to work with students on an individual basis to assist in any way we can and are here to answer any questions you may have.

Coping with Anxiety and Stress

The Counseling Center provides services to help students address many academic, relational, social, and emotional concerns. Staff members are trained and prepared to help you through whatever issues you may need assistance with, whether it be mental health issues like depression and anxiety, or academic issues such as time management and studying skills, or adjustment issues such as transition to college, work-life balance, or homesickness. If you feel that it's time to talk to someone, contact the Counseling Center to make an appointment

The Counseling Center is partnering with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to host a drop-in space for those in our community who are dealing with anxiety and stress as a result of uncertainty around recent proposed changes to immigration policy. For details and to see resources for how to manage stress, visit the Counseling Center's blog

Undocumented and DACA Students

On Tuesday, September 5, the Trump administration announced it is rescinding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy, with a six-month wind-down that would give Congress time to preserve it in some form. The Graduate College is committed to advocating for and assist graduate students and postdoctoral scholars impacted. For the latest information, please see  Open Illinois, including the list of resources at

President Trump's Executive Order on Immigration

Earlier this year, President Trump signed an executive order to  suspend entry visas for citizens of Syria, Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Libya, Sudan, and Yemen for 90 days. Although the order is undergoing scrutiny in court and is stalled at this moment, this action is a serious concern to our university, including our graduate and postdoc community. The Graduate College continues to work with campus leadership to support and protect our international graduate students and postdocs. Read more about the Order.

Support for Members of our University Community

FAQ for students, scholars, faculty, and other impacted persons

Tech Services Resources - available to faculty, researchers, scholars, and graduate students who may be affected by the 1/27/17 Executive Order on immigration.

Export Control

Federal export control laws affect many activities on campus including: research, purchasing equipment and materials, international travel, hiring, and collaborations with foreign colleagues. These regulations can impact  faculty members as well as graduate students. Faculty advisors and graduate students are encouraged to consider how export control might impact graduate students' research including travel to or research from remote locations.

Export controls can factor into many kinds of research. Projects sponsored by a defense agency or subject to publication restrictions (even for proprietary reasons) may be subject to export controls and require safekeeping and access management. Activities involving travel to or collaboration with certain countries can be limited, especially countries subject to trade sanctions and other embargoes. Contact the Office of Export Control before you or your students engage in any activities that involve Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria. Travel to other countries may also have additional requirements.

The Office of Export Control can consult with faculty advisors and researchers if you have concerns about how export control might impact your research or that of your graduate students. See for more information. Contact the office at: or 217-300-6385.

Our Commitment to Transgender Members of the University Community

We will continue to protect and treat all students according to their gender identities and gender expressions, honoring chosen names, pronouns, and restroom access, as is current campus policy. We will continue to support Title IX protections, including those addressing safety from harassment and violence. All campus policies will remain in place to ensure the physical safety of everyone in the community.

Campus Resources to Address Acts of Bias and Discrimination

The university has campus policies in place to ensure the physical safety of everyone in the community. The university works with campus and local public safety officials to ensure people may gather safely and express their views. There are campus resources to address incidences of bias and discrimination.

For Emergencies

If you are experiencing a health or safety emergency for which you need immediate medical or police attention, call 911.

For mental health emergencies call the 24-hour Crisis Line at (217) 359-4141.

University Police TTY/TDD number: 244-7209

University Police non-emergency number: 333-8911

Division of Public Safety: 333-1216

Illini Alert

In the event of a campus emergency, Illini-Alert sends email and text messages, posts to Facebook and Twitter and triggers the Emergency Web Alert System for University websites.

Sign up for Illini Alert


How can we help?

Have an admissions queston?
See our Admissions FAQ.

Have a registration or enrollment question?
Contact us at

Have a records or degree certification question?
Contact our Academic Services unit at

Have a fellowship or assistantship question?
Contact our Fellowship Office at

Have a thesis depost question?
See our Thesis FAQ or contact us at

Need further assistance?
See a listing of our units or contact us at


Additional Resources

Counseling Center 
(217) 333-3704

McKinley Health Center 
(217) 333-2705

Women's Resource Center 
(217) 333-3137

Sexual Misconduct Support, Response, and Prevention

Student Assistance Center
(217) 333-0050

Office of Conflict Resolution

Office of Diversity, Equity, and Access

Student Legal Services