Skip to main content

Problem Solving

Students, faculty, and staff at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are a diverse group whose personalities, experiences, activities, and personal goals vary widely. Graduate College staff are experienced in the types of conflicts and problems that can arise in this environment. Staff members are available to assist students with effective problem solving and to help students identify steps that may be taken to resolve problems without jeopardizing academic progress.

If you would like assistance with problem solving, contact or (217) 333-4610 to schedule a meeting.

These resources may also be of help when conflicts occur:

The Graduate Student Handbook

The Graduate Student Handbook contains information about policies related to conflict mediation for graduate students. Policies and procedures to follow vary depending upon the type of conflict and are only recommended once informal options have be exhausted or deemed inappropriate. Graduate College staff can help you in making this determination. See the Graduate Handbook for more information.

Office of Student Conflict Resolution

The Office for Student Conflict Resolution offers a wide range of services for students involved in disputes or interpersonal conflicts, or those who are experiencing harassment, charges of violation of the student conduct code, or similar problems. The services include student mediation services, referral services, and student discipline. Inquiries may be submitted electronically to via the office's website at

Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students includes many student-centered advocacy, programs, and services that are designed to address students' needs and remove barriers to their success. Units serving graduate students include Asian Pacific American Affairs; La Casa Cultural Latina; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns; and Women's Programs. The counseling, advocacy and referral services handle harassment, discrimination, relationship violence, date rape and sexual assault cases. The Emergency Dean offers assistance to students and their families in emergencies 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Contact the office at or call (217) 333-0050.

Student Legal Services

Students who have paid the SORF fee and have not requested a refund may obtain assistance from Student Legal Service attorneys. The office handles a range of matters including traffic offenses, landlord-tenant disputes, misdemeanors, and consumer disputes. The attorneys will not handle cases involving one student against another, or a student against the University or the state of Illinois, or felony cases. They cannot go outside Champaign County, but will give the accused person counsel. Student Legal Service is available to help inform students on practical aspects of the law as applied to individual problems. In addition, in-court representation is available in many cases. Priority is given to matters for which a student would be financially unable to retain an attorney. See the Student Legal Services Office website for more information