Skip to main content

Instructions for Re-entry

Follow these instructions if you have previously enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Leaves of Absence

Please refer to the Graduate College Handbook for the Leave of Absence policy. It is advisable for graduate students who want to interrupt their programs to work closely with their advisors and other appropriate department staff to make arrangements for the interruption.

Please note that:

  • Graduate students who have not been registered for more than one year at the Urbana campus cannot register without an re-entry approval.
  • Any lapse in registration may result in the loss of the full-tuition-waiver privileges that may have previously accompanied a particular student's assistantship appointments.
  • Whether leaving for one or more terms, a student with educational loans should consult the Financial Aid Office and/or the lender before terminating student status.
  • International students who are F-1 or J-1 visa holders leaving campus are required to secure clearance from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Please see the requirements below and contact your program of study office for further information regarding re-entry requirements.

Re-Entry to the Graduate College

  • Re-Entry approval is required if you have not been enrolled in the last calendar year*.
  • Please contact your graduate program to determine if you need to submit a graduate student petition or submit a new application (application fee required), and if any program-specific materials will be required. 
  • If you are returning to complete your current graduate program, your request will first be reviewed by this program and then the Graduate College.
  • If you are returning to begin a new graduate program, your request will be reviewed by both your former program and proposed new program, and then the Graduate College.
  • International students requesting an I-20 or DS-2019 will also need to submit the Declaration & Certification of Finances Form, along with the appropriate funding documentation.
  • If your Time to Degree/Expected Graduation Date has expired, you will need to also petition for a Time Extension at the time of re-entry.

*International students needing a new I-20 after not being registered for one fall or spring semester should contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for assistance.

Graduate College Review

Whether the student is applying for re-entry to return to the degree program they were last enrolled in, or applying for re-entry to a new graduate degree program, a departmental review must be conducted. Once the departmental review has been completed, your request for re-entry will be submitted to the Graduate College for final review and decision. The student will receive an email once a decision has been made. 

For those approved for re-entry, you can visit our Re-Entry Quick Guide for a list of 10 essential steps to help you get everything in place.

Individuals with Disabilities

These instructions require the use of downloadable PDF forms. For alternative formats of these documents, please contact our office at 217-244-4637 or the Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services at 217-333-4602 V/TTY.