Skip to main content

Post-Deposit Considerations

Update your address information in Self-Service

Diplomas are mailed to graduates approximately 9 weeks after the degree conferral. To ensure delivery of the diploma to the correct location, students should enter a "Diploma Address" in their Self-Service account. If there is no "Diploma Address" recorded, the diploma will be sent to your "Mailing Address."

Additional information regarding the diploma and transcripts may be found in the Graduation FAQ compiled by the Office of the Registrar.

Request a Degree Certification Letter (if needed)

Prior to the date of degree conferral, a student may need verification that they have completed all requirements for the degree (e.g., for employment or visa renewal).

After completing thesis deposit, a student may request a Degree Certification Letter (DCL) through the Degree Certification Letter Request form. After completing the form, the departmental or program office will complete the departmental section and route the completed request to Graduate Student Academic Affairs for processing.

Note: The Graduate College Thesis Office can only verify thesis deposit; under no circumstances will the Thesis Office issue a statement of degree completion.

Set email forwarding

For information regarding discontinuation of access to email, please refer to the following website of Technology Services at Illinois. Students with further questions regarding email and network access should contact the Technology Services Help Desk at (800) 531-2531.

Participate in commencement

For information about participation in the campuswide ceremonies and convocations sponsored by colleges, schools, or departments, contact the Commencement Office at (217) 333-8834 or vist their web page.

Obtain bound copies of the thesis for personal use

The Thesis Office does not provide or distribute thesis copies to students, departments, or anyone else. If you want to have copies of your thesis bound for yourself, your family, or your adviser, you will need to procure them independently. Three options are:

  • Book binderies, such as the local Lincoln Bookbindery, which does provide hardcover binding. Visit their website for further information. You can search for additional binderies in other locations close to you.
  • Copy shops. Local copy shops can make softcover copies.
  • (Doctoral students only) ProQuest. Contact ProQuest's Author Relations department directly for ordering information. Please note that dissertations are transferred to ProQuest approximately 4-6 months after degree conferral.

Managing your data

How should you manage your data as you prepare to leave the University? Consult with Research Data Service to create a plan.

Change or extend your release option

To request a change or extension to the IDEALS release option you chose upon submission, review the request choices on the Release Options page. To change your release option with ProQuest, contact their Author Relations department directly at (800) 521-0600 ext. 77020 or